Press Release of the 9th Myanmar – Thailand Joint Coordinating Committee Meeting for the Comprehensive Development in the Dawei Special Economic Zone and Its Related Project Areas at the PARKROYAL Hotel, Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar
The 9th Myanmar - Thailand Joint Coordinating Committee (JCC) Meeting for the Comprehensive Development in the Dawei Special Economic Zone and its related project areas was convened at the PARKROYAL Hotel, Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar on 3rd October 2019.
The Meeting was co-chaired by H.E. Dr. Than Myint, Union Minister for the Ministry of Commerce of The Republic of the Union of Myanmar and H.E. Mr. Saksayam Chidchob, Minister for Transport of Thailand. Deputy Minister H.E. Dr. Tun Naing, Ministry of Electricity and Energy, Chairman of the Dawei SEZ Management Committee, Deputy Minister H.E. U Kyaw Myo, Ministry of Transport and Telecommunications, and other distinguished members of the delegation and high ranking representatives from relevant agencies of Myanmar and Thailand have attended the meeting. Both sides held extensive discussion on the matters of mutual benefit of the peoples of both countries relating to the Dawei Special Economic Zone implementation. The outcomes of the meeting can be summarized as follows
- Myanmar and Thailand will continue to develop Dawei Special Economic Zone
- Both sides recognized the progress of Two-Lanes Road construction and appreciate for the collaboration on the effort of the Ministry of Construction of Myanmar and Neighbouring Countries Economic Development Agency (NEDA) of Thailand.
- The meeting also discussed the possibility of Joint High-Level Committee (JHC) meeting in the near future.
- The meeting also discussed Myanmar’s current initiatives to move the remaining initial phase projects forward. DSEZ Full Phase development will be initiative in parallel with the initial phase. The matters will be further discussed with existing Joint Task Force.
- Myanmar side also explained the Myanmar Power distribution plan at Dawei SEZ.
- The meeting also discussed to invite developer and investor from various interesting countries.
- Next JCC will be held in Thailand at convenience time for both sides.